My Radical Wellbeing 4-week coaching program is currently running and participants are reportedly enjoying the fresh perspectives and practical steps being shared. So I wanted to spread the love and share some top tips to support you in relaxing more, with speed and ease.
Why is it so important to learn how to relax fast? It’s a skill we all need because stress is more than just unpleasant. It’s also dangerous. Many diseases are now known to be caused by, or made worse by, stress.
The good news is that you can do something about it!
Try these relaxation techniques today, and use them whenever you feel tension coming on.
1. Have a hot shower The hot water relaxes your muscles, and the break from more stressful activities helps too. You can even support the onset of relaxation by imagining the water washing away your stress and it literally flowing away down the plug hole.
2. Play relaxing music Experiment to see which music relaxes you the most effectively. Then keep your favorite relaxation music to hand. I find Spotify fantastic for this, and that’s from someone who initially couldn’t understand the appeal of iPods! Typically I have my phone with me and if I have internet access I can access all my favorite music in one place. You might also like to try out the Solfeggio frequencies, either on their own or along with music – I find this can calm me down so much I’m horizontal!
3. Move to a different space Often times when we’re really feeling stressing the key is to shift state. All the ideas here enable that one way or another. Moving into a different physical space can support that. Why not get out for a little while, whether to a different room or even better, get out in nature. Just minutes can make a difference to your experience and state.
4. Have a cup of chamomile tea Chamomile seems to have a calming effect on the nerves, and hot drinks in general can help you relax. Make it a ritual to create even more of a relaxing state.
5. Watch your mind See if you can spot the stressors lurking just below the surface (hunger, worry, a phone call you need to make), you can take action to resolve them and feel more relaxed.
6. Have a laugh Of course, you know from experience that this helps you relax, right? I’ve shared this link to the laughing babies before. I defy you not to laugh! And pay attention to how you then feel?
And here is one of our family favorite ‘teacher jokes’:
Why can’t you trust atoms?
I don’t know, why can’t you trust atoms?
Because they make up everything!!
7. Breathe Using the breath is perhaps the fastest way to calm the nervous system. Breathe in deeply through your nose and out through your mouth – Just close your eyes and pay attention only to your breathing while doing this. If you can elongate the out-breath a little, so much the better. Five slow deep breaths is like a mini-meditation.
8. Take a walk Walking is one of the best relaxation techniques if you have at least ten minutes to spare. If you can find a scenic place to walk so much the better, but not essential! The fresh air and movement will always help.
9. Give someone a hug even if it’s you hugging you! Being tactile can help us feel more relaxed.
10. Interrupt your routine – Stop to talk to someone you don’t know in the local shop or at the petrol pumps, eat lunch with someone new or in a different location, drive home via a different route, sleep on a different side …. Anything that breaks you out of your habitual patterns can relieve stress.
Do an experiment with some of these suggestions in the coming days and weeks. Find what works best for you and keep it in your toolkit for when you most need it. And of course, if you are doing these activities more frequently, you might just find you don’t get so stressed any more!
What are your favourite ways to relax? I’d love to hear what works for you, whether it is one of the above or if you have your own strategies that work, do share below!
And if you are tempted to dive in and explore more tools and strategies to create Radical Wellbeing in your life, know that there is still plenty of time to join. If you sign up now you will be able to join us live for the last two weeks and will have access to the recordings and worksheets for all 4 weeks through the end of July. For just €39 you can still set great foundations for your Radical Wellbeing this summer!
Sign up here to Radical Wellbeing
You will be taken to a link with details about the program and an invitation to join. You need to complete your personal info and hit join before you are given the option to complete the payment of €39.
Here’s to your Radical Wellbeing!